Tips for telling a true story over Zoom:
- Light yourself well. Aim a light up towards a white ceiling to bounce light softly all around. Also aim a lamp facing you, to light your eyes and face. Turn off lights in the background. Close doors and curtains behind you.
- Forget the virtual background. It eats up bandwidth and distorts your image. We want to hear your story, not see a cutesy fake background!
- Look into the camera on your laptop or phone. This will give the audience the feeling that you are making eye contact with them.
- Don't look down at your screen while you tell your story.
- Place your laptop, or phone, up on something eye-level. We don't want to look up your nose.
- If you want, stand up. You'll be more energetic than sitting down.
- Make sure you are in a quiet environment. Or else use a headset with microphone. Make sure there's nothing noisy going on around you.
- Pro tip: set a timer near you. See when you're coming close to 5 minutes, and end your story before the bell goes off.